Carolina's Community of Digital Creators and Communicators

QR Codes on Campus

It seems like QR codes are everywhere now. Businesses, non-profits,  etc. are using the technology in some really creative ways. What about Higher Ed?

• Are you aware of any interesting QR code campaigns on campus?
  • How are other universities using QR codes to promote services and resources?
  • How can this technology be used in creative ways here at UNC?

Let us know by adding a comment to this post!

– Billy

9 Comments

1. Steve Melamut

Take a look at http://libtour.classcaster.net/
    There is a project to create law library tours using QR codes. They post a sign on the library stacks and the QR code links to an audio description of the materials. There are a number of legal research materials that have to be explained before a beginner can start to use them.

2. Jeff VanDrimmelen

What a great idea! I’m still not sure how many people are actually using them. I’m pretty techie and have yet to use a QR code even once. I know what they are, but just never find the need.

Thoughts from an instructional perspective:
    – Classroom discussions, or polls. Professors could use them in the classroom to get folks to a discussion forum, or sakai site, or really any other thing. I’m certainly open to putting them out there if any faculty wants help with them.

I know there are lots of tools for creating them. Anyone have any good suggestions for an easy campus implementation?

3. Brian Moynihan

I know that Aaron Brubaker at SILS put QR codes on every page of the display in the SILS lobby. For instance, if you are on the staff contact page you can grab the QR code and have that page appear on your phone.

The most useful application of that seems to be with the map – grab the QR code and it brings up a mapping application showing you exactly where you are. In my mind, QR codes are most useful when viewing things on your mobile phone matters, such as when you are walking around and need a map.

I have considered the uses of QR codes in medical education – for instance you could have a petri dish with some pathogen in it (um, or a photo) and the answer to what it is could be on a QR code page. Look at the sample, make your guess, check out the QR code to see if you are right.

Another possible use: QR codes for the arboretum or campus monuments. What is this tree? What is the history of Silent Sam? Ah, a helpful webpage…

4. Brian Moynihan

Geek out: I am actually working on a QR code mosaic. Marble cubes of black and white that hopefully will actually work to bring up a URL. One cool thing about QR codes is that they can be made out of anything -even food! (See the edible, scannable waffle at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code#Use_as_artwork)

5. Jay Almers

I am planning on integrating QR codes for contact information for each professor, links to syllabi, and on development marketing materials for alumni to make gifts/contributions.

6. Suzanne Cadwell

QR Codes were all the rage at last Fall’s UNC CAUSE conference, both in print for conference info (esp getting around the venue) and projected during sessions. During my session on CFE’s Poll Everywhere pilot, I used QR codes to link to websites and for participants to send a SMS message to a PE poll.

The codes themselves aren’t pretty, but it would be great to have them on buildings, trees, sculpture, anything that passersby might wish to learn more about.

7. bhylton

Or… flash mobs?

http://universe.byu.edu/node/14561

8. stevecory

I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long
    Google Officially Ends Support For QR Code in Places

9. Helen Crompton

For the past three years I have created a session for the SIG-mobile learning and they have been extremely popular, but, this year the interest has absolutely exploded. The School of Education will be using them this coming semester for various uses. The QR MeCards are also a great way to use the QR Codes for speed in connecting with people and I think those are also going to be used in the SOE.
    Mobile is the way it is certainly going and QR codes are just an extremely simple, quick way of accessing information, maps contacts etc etc.

© 2024 Web Professionals

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑